HELL YEAH!!! (Pulled the thought right out of your head, didn’t I?)
Don’t feel bad about it either. According to the world of Physics (Of course I had to look this up plus Big O confirmed it), Nothing IS actually Something. Sure, it’s more complex than that, but I am not fully qualified to explain it, and if I ask Big O to do it, it’ll just add to his ego. So, lets just move on with the Nothing is Something idea.
***Disclaimer: This does NOT apply to the habitually lazy, slacking, freeloading leech. This is directed to all those hardworking folks (me included) that never seem to find any downtime.
Finding a moment of personal time can be challenging to many individuals. And most of us believe that once this time is carved out, be it an entire weekend, a day, or a few hours it should be somewhat “productive”. We yearn to do SOMETHING we love as long as its not work or home-chore related. I can’t argue with that. Personally, I have yet to come across anyone that loves cleaning the toilet or folding laundry. Without a doubt these are not popular pastimes or hobbies. Although there is a British journalist by the name of Bryony Gordon that absolutely loves it. This IS her hobby and she even reported that 1 out of every 3 women secretly love to clean. Can you believe it? Either way, I honestly need to befriend one of these women in hopes for a service exchange.
As for the rest of us, that’s two thirds of women along with men and teens that prefer to spend our free time on other types of activities. Some love hiking, going to the movies, visiting a museum, golfing. bowling, visiting the zoo, shopping, attending a sporting event, going to a concert, skating, and/or hosting a party with friends and family. I agree, all of these are great fun pastimes. But fill your free time up with these and you’ll be exhausted come Sunday night. Now, the following lists some things, that when asked “What did you do for the weekend?” most people will reply with a shrug of the shoulder and a disheartening “Nothing really, I just…”
Well, NO MORE!! Given that Nothing is actually Something, when you get back to work on Monday, hopefully more relaxed, you can proudly and emphatically say that you did NOTHING or claim stake on it as truly SOMETHING. Go ahead and enjoy any of the following activities. Depending on who you are or what your stress level is (because you are a hardworking individual on a daily basis), something here will inevitably help you unwind. And THAT is definitely a good use of your time.
- Read a book
- Page through a fashion magazine
- Listen to your favorite album on repeat (look up the lyrics so you can sing along)
- Watch music videos
- Daydream about your future vacation
- Meditate on anything
- Sip on some tea/wine/coffee and watch the rain fall
- Binge watch a television series
- Soak in the tub
- Sit on your porch and say hello to the neighbors as they walk by
- Stretch your arms, back, legs, neck
- Do a word search puzzle
- Cuddle with your pet
- Watch a stand up comedian on TV (Laughter is good for you)
- Chat with a friend on the phone (texting counts)
- Light various scented candles and enjoy how they mix
- Draw on a pad (doodling counts)
- Google something new (You’ll be a little smarter)
- Write down your thoughts (about anything, no to-do lists though)
- Look at old pictures (go down memory lane)
- Rewatch the Ross and Rachel “We’re on a break” episode and learn from it.
- Watch AFV episodes (I have my kids to thank for this mindless viewing)
- Scroll through Pinterest for inspiration
- Add songs to your playlist
- Take a nap (so many of us don’t have this luxury or feel guilty about it)
- Enjoy a game (Bejeweled and Candy Crush count)
- Stare, observe, take in your surroundings (even if you’re home)
- Enjoy a bear hug from your kids (then send them away to play)
- Eat in bed
- Count how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop (I did this twice and averaged 286 licks)
- Focus on your breathing
- Moisturize your hands and feet
- Sit by your fireplace or fire pit and stare at the dancing flames
- Enjoy a soft throw blanket against your skin
- Makeout with your significant other
Did I miss something? Let me know what kind of “Nothing” helps you relax. I’m always open to new ideas.
— The Pretty Platform